Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Postmodernism

Postmodernism:

  • pomo is cliche of post-modernism
  • function and materials are modernist structures
  • a lot of modernist structures didn't work
  • postmodernism can be theoretical approach, embrace different things
  • wrestling with dualities, mixing of cultures, high and low
  • postmodernism seen in art, design, literature, architecture
  • emphasis on feel rather than rationale
  • emphasis on surface, texture and materials
  • self-consciousness or self-referencing
  • mixes high and low, historical references, vernacular
  • Banksy is example, street artist, making lots of money off work
  • emphasis on form over function
  • direct confrontation to sterile office modernist aesthetic
  • playing with design, putting text block at angle, expanding parameters
  • in the 60s people reacting to modernism, others pushing boundaries
  • language of poster, untraditional use of space and rags
  • playing with logo, putting it on its side, bending it, maintains structure
  • Wolfgang Weingart 1969 working with lead type, experimenting
  • Weingart uses open systems, playful elements
  • teacher at Basel School of Design, gets bored with international style
  • starts experimenting and breaking from confines
  • key proponent because he is a teacher at important school
  • had very important students who became influential designers
  • Weingart was teacher of Lee Willett (sp)
  • experimenting with sans serif, letter spacing, stair-stepping rules
  • uses diagonal type, reversing type out of bars, variations within word
  • still underpinning of structure, but less conformity
  • his student Dan Freedman uses variety of letterforms, float in space
  • studied at Basel 60s and 70s and then taught at Yale
  • tradition of Basel students teaching at prestigious US schools
  • taking simple bit of text and saying what if, pushing variation
  • mentality of having basis in theory and logic and pushing it farther
  • 1980 ad for china club, elements of Lissitsky, contemporary
  • Cal Institute of Arts lots of floating objects, texture orgy
  • Memphis Design Group, based out of Milan
  • want to erase International design, pull all textures and colors together
  • pull from ancient, popular, function is secondary to style
  • 70s artwork reflected arena rock music epicness of time
  • the 80s is completely reactionary, saturation, objectification
  • other reaction is punk, Sex Pistols and Buzzcocks
  • Beatles transition reminiscent of aesthetics changing at time
  • cliches of these musicians from their eras, iconic looks
  • The Situationists modern group of Dadaists
  • Situationists reacting to modernism, things have no meaning
  • create situations, art that doesn't make sense, art poking fun
  • absurdism in art, causing a reaction amongst people
  • Sex Pistols form in 1976, first album in 1977
  • Buzzcocks were poor kids from Manchester, just wanted to make band
  • Charles Anderson appropriating cultural language and repackaging it
  • up until this point in mid-80s, packaging didn't look like this
  • Anderson uses illustration reminiscent of classical, changes language
  • appropriating vernacular, not clean or modern, but rustic
  • realized that historical vernacular affects customer more
  • Peter Seville involved with music posters and graphics
  • creates an aesthetic through industrial inspired graphics in The Factory
  • creates famous Joy Division wave/mountain pattern
  • Vaughn Olliver is another English designer, 4AD Records
  • designers still using traditional means, shift happens with Mac in 80s
  • Mac changes technology and therefore the way people design
  • first uses were more about type setting than designing
  • Layering, pixels, very digital looking due to computer
  • Emigre was underground design magazine at time of formation
  • Katherine McCoy was Cranbrook student, theoretical look at design
  • student Jeff Keating? looking at French literature, deconstructive theory
  • Ed Fella does everything by hand, creating expressive typography
  • look for copies of Raygun or Beach Culture and buy them
  • Dave Carson does same lecture every time, hide if he ever comes here
  • post-modernists create work that shocks, readability not important
  • active engagement becomes better form of communication
  • the fact that it has become a more effective form in a way makes it modernist
  • writing the type, doing it yourself, mixing high and low
  • Sagmeister very charismatic, sincere German artist, hero worship
  • lots of clean, competent work, with good clients

I've never really thought of myself in terms of modernist or postmodernist, but I guess if I had to choose then I'd say I'm a postmodernist. Even though technology is in many ways unavoidable in today's society, I would never really say I'm a proponent of technological growth. I think I'm too much of a romantic for that. I think there's so much to be valued in handcraft and using what's available, that I can't imagine a world run by technology. I think in many ways it takes away from the original idea or thought process behind the designer, unless your intention was perfection I guess. It's almost scary to me that there are these underlying rules or restrictions in the modern design aesthetic that I feel at times I am being forced to follow. Experimentation is so important to me and in many ways I feel I fail at even that..which is ridiculous to say because it's an experiment..there is no right or wrong. But I often feel like I can't make things that are unclean and random, and it frustrates me all the time. Vectors are frighteningly abundant and I just want someone to write in dirt and get away with it..even better if that person is me. One thing I will say about the negatives of postmodernism is that I think it can often cross the line into gaudy and overly cliche. I remember when I first saw Las Vegas..now I knew it was supposed to be disgustingly cheesy and bright, but I still held on to this idea that there would be this air of old glamour or that it would provide me with this sort of wave of nostalgia..but instead I just found it to be horribly fake and touristy..just so run down that it was no longer funny, but sad. So while I love the eccentricity and freedom of postmodernism and concept of dualities, I feel that form cannot always replace function.

No comments:

Post a Comment